What's It All About, eh?

Cape Breton evokes deep memories and strong emotions for me as well as a deep appreciation for the beauty of my adopted island. My hopes are that you too might find the photos evocative - maybe a view you've not enjoyed before, or an 'Oh I've been there', or if from away that you may be encouraged to visit this fair isle so that you might come to love and breathe Cape Breton as I do. One word about place names that I use - some are completely local usage while others are from maps of Cape Breton that I've purchased over the years. I frequently post travel and other photos that are of interest to me - and hopefully you.

On the right hand side bar find my take on Single Malt whiskey - from how to best enjoy this noble drink to reviews (in a most non-professional manner) of ones that I have tried and liked - or not. Also musings, mine and others, on life in general.

Photographs are roughly 98%+ my own and copy-righted. For the occasional photo that is borrowed, credit is given where possible - recently I have started posting unusual net photographs that seem unique. Feel free to borrow any of my photos for non-commercial use, otherwise contact me. Starting late in 2013 I have tried to be consistent in identifying my photographs using ©smck on all out of camera photos I personally captured - (I often do minor computer changes such as 'crop' or 'shadow' etc but usually nothing major), and using
©norvellhimself on all photos that I have played around with in case it might not be obvious. Lately I have dropped the ©smck and have watermarked them with the blog name.

COMMENTS are appreciated as feedback is the driving energy of blogging - And if you like this site please pass it along to a friend. Thanks!

NOTE: TO ENLARGE PHOTO, CLICK ON SAME - If using Firefox also click f11 - photos will fill the screen ...... ----------------------------------- ......TRANSLATION BUTTON AT TOP OF LEFT COLUMN!

New Camera - Comment Please

At the present I am looking for a new digital camera - one with good zoom ability - and I am not looking forward to what I think they call SLR but rather to a one piece that can do everything reasonably well.  I am well aware that trade-offs in various performances will be part of my ultimate choice which at the moment are narrowed down to:

 * Cannon PowerShot SX50
 * Sony Cyber-Shot     HX200V
  * Nikon CoolPix         P510
  * Panasonic Lumix    DMC-FZ200

If any of you are camera buffs I would really appreciate your comments.


5 comments:

  1. Of the 4 you listed, I like the panasonic the best because of the constant f2.8 aperture lens. I guess it doesn't zoom as far as the others but 600mm is still pretty far. I would also recommend the fuji hs50 because I am biased towards fuji's interesting sensor design and it also allows you to manually zoom rather than using a lever unlike the rest, I believe.

    Cheers,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg - thanks for your input - I have a panasonic lumix 16x at the present time and have really liked it for my level of photography. I have goofed up shooting in the rain once and have a smear on an interior lens so that any light background photos show the imperfection. I am interested in the zoom for wildlife shots that arise unexpectedly without time to whip out a separate lens and attach it. I will look up the fuji hs50 right after I post this. One of the reasons that the Cannon appealed to me (aside from the 50x) was the viewing screens articulation - does the Panasonic view screen do more than fold in and out? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checked out the Fuji - it seems great - does the barrel-type zoom add much clunkiness to carrying the camera or is it just a minor thing that disappears when in use - I think I would like the barrel-type zooming over a lever - it is out of stock at Amazon at the present, any other seller suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete