What's It All About, eh?

Cape Breton evokes deep memories and strong emotions for me as well as a deep appreciation for the beauty of my adopted island. My hopes are that you too might find the photos evocative - maybe a view you've not enjoyed before, or an 'Oh I've been there', or if from away that you may be encouraged to visit this fair isle so that you might come to love and breathe Cape Breton as I do. One word about place names that I use - some are completely local usage while others are from maps of Cape Breton that I've purchased over the years. I frequently post travel and other photos that are of interest to me - and hopefully you.

On the right hand side bar find my take on Single Malt whiskey - from how to best enjoy this noble drink to reviews (in a most non-professional manner) of ones that I have tried and liked - or not. Also musings, mine and others, on life in general.

Photographs are roughly 98%+ my own and copy-righted. For the occasional photo that is borrowed, credit is given where possible - recently I have started posting unusual net photographs that seem unique. Feel free to borrow any of my photos for non-commercial use, otherwise contact me. Starting late in 2013 I have tried to be consistent in identifying my photographs using ©smck on all out of camera photos I personally captured - (I often do minor computer changes such as 'crop' or 'shadow' etc but usually nothing major), and using
©norvellhimself on all photos that I have played around with in case it might not be obvious. Lately I have dropped the ©smck and have watermarked them with the blog name.

COMMENTS are appreciated as feedback is the driving energy of blogging - And if you like this site please pass it along to a friend. Thanks!

NOTE: TO ENLARGE PHOTO, CLICK ON SAME - If using Firefox also click f11 - photos will fill the screen ...... ----------------------------------- ......TRANSLATION BUTTON AT TOP OF LEFT COLUMN!

Eagle Broods


I accidentally took some photographs on the camera's memory rather than on the SD memory card which I inadvertently forgot to put into the my FZ200 - and remembered to upload them this morning.  On a nice snowy day on the 25th of February I wondered if the eagles were starting to brood again in their gigantic old stick pile of a nest - and indeed they were.  I have seen photographs taken by intrepid explorers of nature from pre-mounted cameras high above the nest itself  showing them nestled into the snow laden nest but this old guy is not about to climb the old marsh tree and mount a 'sky' camera - so for now this is it. (I have bought a multiplier lens for my camera but even though it is optical it does not do as well as using digitally enhanced zoom as above - which might be me not knowing how to do settings for the added X zoom - if any reader knows about same please comment below).

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful capture Norvell....!!!! What a great view you have and you will be able to see the comings and goings of the parents soon!!!!

    As far as the "extra zoom" with the multiplier you got, you may notice a reduction in autofocus speed, especially if shooting in low light situations. The multiplier will also decrease or narrow your lens aperture by 2 stops. The aperture will still open to the same width, but the ratio of the aperture opening to the focal length is reduced - by 2 stops. You can still use it, but maybe try increasing your F/stop to 7.1. (Example: if your camera's highest aperture is F2.8 and you put a 2x multiplier or extender on it, is it going to be at F5.6) So, try increasing your F/stop to 7.1 and see if that helps your situation....Also, try it on ''spot metering'' .... This will allow more light on the focused object. And, number two, set your auto focus point to the center and the center dot will focus exactly on the middle of your focusing screen....Great for shooting the eagles in that tree and the branches will not be in focus and will make the shooting experience pleasant and fun. This may be an indicator as to why you are noticing a slight degrading in your photos when you applied the extra multiplier. I found the resources here based on your camera: http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200/specs/ Just play around with the settings and magical moments will be captured I am sure! Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shamik - you're an angel, I just hope I'm not too dumb to follow your instructions - thanks, thanks, thanks, Norvellhimself

    ReplyDelete