What's It All About, eh?

Cape Breton evokes deep memories and strong emotions for me as well as a deep appreciation for the beauty of my adopted island. My hopes are that you too might find the photos evocative - maybe a view you've not enjoyed before, or an 'Oh I've been there', or if from away that you may be encouraged to visit this fair isle so that you might come to love and breathe Cape Breton as I do. One word about place names that I use - some are completely local usage while others are from maps of Cape Breton that I've purchased over the years. I frequently post travel and other photos that are of interest to me - and hopefully you.

On the right hand side bar find my take on Single Malt whiskey - from how to best enjoy this noble drink to reviews (in a most non-professional manner) of ones that I have tried and liked - or not. Also musings, mine and others, on life in general.

Photographs are roughly 98%+ my own and copy-righted. For the occasional photo that is borrowed, credit is given where possible - recently I have started posting unusual net photographs that seem unique. Feel free to borrow any of my photos for non-commercial use, otherwise contact me. Starting late in 2013 I have tried to be consistent in identifying my photographs using ©smck on all out of camera photos I personally captured - (I often do minor computer changes such as 'crop' or 'shadow' etc but usually nothing major), and using
©norvellhimself on all photos that I have played around with in case it might not be obvious. Lately I have dropped the ©smck and have watermarked them with the blog name.

COMMENTS are appreciated as feedback is the driving energy of blogging - And if you like this site please pass it along to a friend. Thanks!

NOTE: TO ENLARGE PHOTO, CLICK ON SAME - If using Firefox also click f11 - photos will fill the screen ...... ----------------------------------- ......TRANSLATION BUTTON AT TOP OF LEFT COLUMN!

Hawk - Entrapped In Duck Pen II



07 October 2013          ©smck


I am not sure how - or why - this red-tailed hawk got into my neighbours duck pen.  The ducks had not been bothered when I arrived nor did Mr. Hawk seem interested in them.  He just wanted out!  After I took the middle photo above he suddenly flew up into the netting covering the pen and became, not so much entangled but rather entrapped by reflex.  It seemed that once his talons closed on the netting and he was trapped upside-down that he was simply hanging on for dear life - and becoming disoriented by the upside-down position.  I quickly retrieved a trestle - or saw horse as most people refer to them - from my wood rick and got onto it so that I was positioned higher than the netting.  With gloved hands I slowly freed one set of talons and he swung free from one leg.  But of course as I started to undo the second set he immediately fastioned the first set once again.  Slowly removing all but one of his talons from the first set, I then did the same on the second set.  He was now still clinging with both legs but with only one talon each. Taking out my pocket knife I posed it on the single strand of netting which supported his right leg and then with my free left hand I worked the left talon free and fairly simultaneously slashed the other netting.  He fell to the ground quite near the gate which my wife now swung open.  After a second or two of confusion he lurched like he was light headed through the gate, paused for another few seconds, then launched into quick retreating flight.  Ducks safe, hawk free and nice photos.  Nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment