What's It All About, eh?

Cape Breton evokes deep memories and strong emotions for me as well as a deep appreciation for the beauty of my adopted island. My hopes are that you too might find the photos evocative - maybe a view you've not enjoyed before, or an 'Oh I've been there', or if from away that you may be encouraged to visit this fair isle so that you might come to love and breathe Cape Breton as I do. One word about place names that I use - some are completely local usage while others are from maps of Cape Breton that I've purchased over the years. I frequently post travel and other photos that are of interest to me - and hopefully you.

On the right hand side bar find my take on Single Malt whiskey - from how to best enjoy this noble drink to reviews (in a most non-professional manner) of ones that I have tried and liked - or not. Also musings, mine and others, on life in general.

Photographs are roughly 98%+ my own and copy-righted. For the occasional photo that is borrowed, credit is given where possible - recently I have started posting unusual net photographs that seem unique. Feel free to borrow any of my photos for non-commercial use, otherwise contact me. Starting late in 2013 I have tried to be consistent in identifying my photographs using ©smck on all out of camera photos I personally captured - (I often do minor computer changes such as 'crop' or 'shadow' etc but usually nothing major), and using
©norvellhimself on all photos that I have played around with in case it might not be obvious. Lately I have dropped the ©smck and have watermarked them with the blog name.

COMMENTS are appreciated as feedback is the driving energy of blogging - And if you like this site please pass it along to a friend. Thanks!

NOTE: TO ENLARGE PHOTO, CLICK ON SAME - If using Firefox also click f11 - photos will fill the screen ...... ----------------------------------- ......TRANSLATION BUTTON AT TOP OF LEFT COLUMN!

New Camera



Well I finally over-rode the Scottish DNA in my mind-set and bought (well 'charged ' a new camera - hopefully to be paid off at the end of the month with no interest occurring) a new camera.  AND the winner is (for better or worse) the Panasonic Lumix DMC Z200 with the usual accoutrements - battery, charger, strap, lens cover, lens hood, memory card, etc along with a separate purchase of a nice compact leather carrying case.   So far I have managed to put the leather case onto the camera. 

The Z200 is a 24x zoom with a constant f2.8 which impressed a lot of reviewers who seem to be much more knowledgeable than me.  I did not want (and really could not afford the SLR type) because I want the smallest possible good camera with me on hikes and jaunts (though I doubt if I ever take this with me in a canoe or a kayak).  The final deciding point for me was one of the many reviewers that I read said that he was comparing the Z200 with several of the cameras that he used including:

" Canon Rebel T3i - Not really a fair comparison but used it as a high water mark for the FZ200 to aim for"

He fairly admits the better resolution of the Canon Rebel T3i when he (Z200) and his wife (T3i) took side by side photos of a particular scene - but that the Z200 photo was very good indeed.  

His review was updated after about 6 months or so and he was still quite happy with it.   

So if you want to hear more give me through the end of the year and I will update this posting with my feelings to be.









No comments:

Post a Comment