What's It All About, eh?

Cape Breton evokes deep memories and strong emotions for me as well as a deep appreciation for the beauty of my adopted island. My hopes are that you too might find the photos evocative - maybe a view you've not enjoyed before, or an 'Oh I've been there', or if from away that you may be encouraged to visit this fair isle so that you might come to love and breathe Cape Breton as I do. One word about place names that I use - some are completely local usage while others are from maps of Cape Breton that I've purchased over the years. I frequently post travel and other photos that are of interest to me - and hopefully you.

On the right hand side bar find my take on Single Malt whiskey - from how to best enjoy this noble drink to reviews (in a most non-professional manner) of ones that I have tried and liked - or not. Also musings, mine and others, on life in general.

Photographs are roughly 98%+ my own and copy-righted. For the occasional photo that is borrowed, credit is given where possible - recently I have started posting unusual net photographs that seem unique. Feel free to borrow any of my photos for non-commercial use, otherwise contact me. Starting late in 2013 I have tried to be consistent in identifying my photographs using ©smck on all out of camera photos I personally captured - (I often do minor computer changes such as 'crop' or 'shadow' etc but usually nothing major), and using
©norvellhimself on all photos that I have played around with in case it might not be obvious. Lately I have dropped the ©smck and have watermarked them with the blog name.

COMMENTS are appreciated as feedback is the driving energy of blogging - And if you like this site please pass it along to a friend. Thanks!

NOTE: TO ENLARGE PHOTO, CLICK ON SAME - If using Firefox also click f11 - photos will fill the screen ...... ----------------------------------- ......TRANSLATION BUTTON AT TOP OF LEFT COLUMN!

Open Water


If you look back to the 12 January '24 posting 'The Old Dredge Hole Ain't What It Used To Be - II' you can see a small turbulence at the end of the docking on the right.  This is an aerator churning bubbles and water which keeps the water from freezing solid around the docks and being lifted and cast asunder by the ice.  For a good number of years now the river has not frozen as solid as it did in my growing up and early adult-hood days when fishermen would come in droves to cut holes through the ice and wait patiently in the cold open-air while flashy copper ice-minnows would be jigged expectantly. When I find some of my mom's old photos from the late 50's I'll post a couple of my father doing this along with some of his happy catches.   The aerators keep enough open water for local water fowl, ducks, gulls, geese, etc, which no longer seem to migrate south.  These in turn add to the churning of the water so that nice large open areas remain for their feeding and ablutions. 

3 comments:

  1. I have begun to read some of your postings. Needless to say there is such an abundance of information.
    I do share your sentiments about Cape Breton. I had thought for years that I would retire there. Sadly so many of my relatives have passed on. I shall continue to navigate this most interesting sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Doug, I didn't notice your comment while looking at my blog earlier but luckily when I checked my mail there was a notice there. When my first marriage broke up while I was living in Grand River, I came back here to Maryland (for as much as I love Cape Breton it is a tough place to live when you are down on your luck) but my intentions were always to return to the island when I got things back together. But as you well know I'm sure, life always plots a different course than we might expect. I am happy that Carol loves Grand River and Cape Breton and that we return every summer - "so you've come back home, eh Steve?" is one of my favorite greetings - and the ruralness and the old ways still dominate but they, as so much else in Canada, are slowly giving way to what I call the American way of life - drugs, lawsuits, developments (Buddie's old 100 acres split up into 17 lots with a locked gate across the road for one), L'archeveque with boats owned by people from away fishing on rented licenses, small stores closed never to re-open, family homes either sold to strangers or setting awaiting ruin. Luckily there are people like Stewart MacKay and Sue, still in good supply and the Mointeach, the Bras d'Orrs, the highlands, etc. Often though when I pass the old homes and like you say people I knew well and drank tea with are gone - getting old is tough if I pause to reflect too much. I find it best to keep hacking away doing the blog, and trying to keep two old houses going (I remember reading once in the Ellsworth American where I lived for awhile before seeking out an even more rural environment, an article by The Country Gardener I believe it was - "Having a summer home as well as a permanent home is like having a wife and a mistress - you can't do justice to either one." Thanks for looking the blog over - it's small potatoes compared to some, but for such a bland presentation it must have some appeal to people that like to see scenery and passing the time conversation. Steve

    ReplyDelete