What's It All About, eh?

Cape Breton evokes deep memories and strong emotions for me as well as a deep appreciation for the beauty of my adopted island. My hopes are that you too might find the photos evocative - maybe a view you've not enjoyed before, or an 'Oh I've been there', or if from away that you may be encouraged to visit this fair isle so that you might come to love and breathe Cape Breton as I do. One word about place names that I use - some are completely local usage while others are from maps of Cape Breton that I've purchased over the years. I frequently post travel and other photos that are of interest to me - and hopefully you.

On the right hand side bar find my take on Single Malt whiskey - from how to best enjoy this noble drink to reviews (in a most non-professional manner) of ones that I have tried and liked - or not. Also musings, mine and others, on life in general.

Photographs are roughly 98%+ my own and copy-righted. For the occasional photo that is borrowed, credit is given where possible - recently I have started posting unusual net photographs that seem unique. Feel free to borrow any of my photos for non-commercial use, otherwise contact me. Starting late in 2013 I have tried to be consistent in identifying my photographs using ©smck on all out of camera photos I personally captured - (I often do minor computer changes such as 'crop' or 'shadow' etc but usually nothing major), and using
©norvellhimself on all photos that I have played around with in case it might not be obvious. Lately I have dropped the ©smck and have watermarked them with the blog name.

COMMENTS are appreciated as feedback is the driving energy of blogging - And if you like this site please pass it along to a friend. Thanks!

NOTE: TO ENLARGE PHOTO, CLICK ON SAME - If using Firefox also click f11 - photos will fill the screen ...... ----------------------------------- ......TRANSLATION BUTTON AT TOP OF LEFT COLUMN!

Kilchoman, Machir Bay, 2014 46% Alc/vol Single Malt Scotch Whisky



Kilchoman, Machir Bay  2014 release   46% Alc/vol


NorvellHimself – using Michael Jackson's summary style Guide to Single Malt Scotch:



   House Style –after dinner reminiscing

     COLOUR   - pale, pale gold – pale straw

     NOSE         - lovely mild heather breeze with subtle hints of peat

     BODY        - overtures of spring country-side, rich sweet porridge giving

                          way to fresh mown green hay

     PALATE     - uncloying sweetness, mild peatyness,

     FINISH      - long and smooth for a 46%

.

    

score 88



NorvellHimself’s take:



I like to try new Scotch offerings, but am so mean with giving outlay to money that I agonize each time that I venture into the liquor store.  But this time, after being beguiled by the presentation of the bottle and the packaging, the aftermath is more than pleasing – Kilchoman (kil – ho – mon) is a great flavour treat that surprises me with incredible smoothness combined with continuing different offerings of flavour.  As I jotted it down while sipping:

            Lovely nose, mild heather breeze

            Very smooth for 46% with long lingering finish

            If flavours were colours then this would be a warm pebbly gray with overlays of glistening brown and yellow-orange - and in the real world a pleasant mild sweetness overlaying the essence of Scotch 

            Grows better with each sip – now giving taste to fresh mown green hay

            This has to be at least an 85

            I like heavy peat and this is mildly peaty

            but it demands another bottle which is unusual for mildly peaty whisky

            This is indeed a soul stirring sipping whisky for a nice long evening’s contentment – make

            that an 88
Highly recommend this!!!! 

I have read many reviews with only one bad apple guy - and I think he must have misidentified his whisky - below read a professional review


Kilchoman Machir Bay 2014 – Tasting Review
By Loch Fyne Whiskies News
On the nose is a summery mixture of fruit, heavily leaning towards a more dominant citrus kick. The classic character of Islay peat is also heavily present which balances well with a slight vanilla aroma.
On the palate again those fruits dominate whilst the vanilla deepens bring forward a welcomed sweetness; possibly gifted to the dram by those oloroso sherry butts.
As with the 2012 and the 2013 Machir Bay, the finish is long and lingering; less harsh than the 2013.
Overall the Kilchoman Machir Bay 2014 is another positive step towards something truly remarkable and again displays this small, farm distilleries talent for distilling superb whisky. The 2014, is for me more well balanced and shows more clearly the development of character that has taken place than that of the 2013.
But what is clear, is that the Machir Bay 2014 is a truly sublime dram and is just a glimpse of the superiority we can expect to see from this distillery in coming years.


No comments:

Post a Comment