What's It All About, eh?

Cape Breton evokes deep memories and strong emotions for me as well as a deep appreciation for the beauty of my adopted island. My hopes are that you too might find the photos evocative - maybe a view you've not enjoyed before, or an 'Oh I've been there', or if from away that you may be encouraged to visit this fair isle so that you might come to love and breathe Cape Breton as I do. One word about place names that I use - some are completely local usage while others are from maps of Cape Breton that I've purchased over the years. I frequently post travel and other photos that are of interest to me - and hopefully you.

On the right hand side bar find my take on Single Malt whiskey - from how to best enjoy this noble drink to reviews (in a most non-professional manner) of ones that I have tried and liked - or not. Also musings, mine and others, on life in general.

Photographs are roughly 98%+ my own and copy-righted. For the occasional photo that is borrowed, credit is given where possible - recently I have started posting unusual net photographs that seem unique. Feel free to borrow any of my photos for non-commercial use, otherwise contact me. Starting late in 2013 I have tried to be consistent in identifying my photographs using ©smck on all out of camera photos I personally captured - (I often do minor computer changes such as 'crop' or 'shadow' etc but usually nothing major), and using
©norvellhimself on all photos that I have played around with in case it might not be obvious. Lately I have dropped the ©smck and have watermarked them with the blog name.

COMMENTS are appreciated as feedback is the driving energy of blogging - And if you like this site please pass it along to a friend. Thanks!

NOTE: TO ENLARGE PHOTO, CLICK ON SAME - If using Firefox also click f11 - photos will fill the screen ...... ----------------------------------- ......TRANSLATION BUTTON AT TOP OF LEFT COLUMN!

Evening On The Porch With Talisker



Evening On The Porch With Talisker
 
Maybe it was the double scotch – Talisker Storm 45.8 % Alc/vol – I’d poured myself while waiting for Carol to arrive, giving me that little ‘float’ that I find gives my mind the relaxation to see the things around me with a freshness usually lacking in my day-to-day.  I hadn’t intended to do a double but there it was in the little etched stemless goblet that I had found in the local antique shop in  what is now the Old Cramer’s Store of my younger days, and I was not about to let it go to waste.  And even though I still did the slow-sipping, enjoy-the-taste as is my normal wont, I did do it a bit quicker as I inhaled the aroma and the taste of the isles letting the flow of the Storm loft me along.  We live up a long unpaved road, surrounded by the temperate forest of the peninsula jutting into the upper Chesapeake Bay, far enough in that on a thick misted evening like tonight the only sound as I walked out into the dark of the evening of our rugged porch was the Brownian motion of air molecules in my ears occasionally over-ridden by faint faint sounds of traffic on the distant corridor of transport miles to the north.  Immediately the soft focused view of the large old oaks and the large old junipers ghosted above me with faint misty halos of light from the living room windows vague and ethereal floating like some old master deeply ochered painting against the deep black absence of light that was the forest behind them, that I knew were beyond my amateurish photographic capabilities – but it was a scene impressive in its potential, impressive enough to spur me to write these words, to once again try to push photography – my photography at least – into the rendering of art that the human eye, the human brain, can be aware of from the simplest of natural scenes that rendered properly gives one pause and reflection and desire to share this one sparse moment in time and place with others so that they too can be momentarily above the mundane and into the rare.  And I know that I do this from time to time – some vista that my awareness groks is captured in my camera and when I upload and see it in front of me I feel that oneness with the scene and some few others too are evoked.   So the Talisker, did its duty for me and my brain truly freshened for a while – the scene though still vivid in my mind remains uncaptured and if my skills improve, it may repeat some misty evening in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment